this view we see the area around 20th Street, and a large building
immediately north of the railroad, west of 20th. According to the
legend on the original panoramic map, this item, number 11, is
"Proposed Hotel and Union Depot."
This location did become the home
of a Union Depot, and served in that role until 1907 when the Terminal
Station was built at the east side of the business district.
Until that time, this area was
close to the heart of the City. It was the focus of transportation
in the area, and new office buildings were generally located close by in
the coming years.
Also in this area, on the south
side of the tracks is a large brick works, at the lower left corner of
the image. There is a large pit next to the brick works--is this
where the clay came from?