|Accord to White, in The
Birmingham District, p. 208, the Raimund mining site was developed
by John Adams for Thomas Pioneer Mining and Manufacturing Company in
1896. The mine was located on the L&N's Birmingham MIneral RR,
and was named for Thomas' grandson, Raimund.
In 1899 the property was purchased by Republic
Iron and Steel Company, which began mining operations there in
1905. This operation was successful, producing over 12 million
tons of iron ore by 1938. In 1944, Republic sold the property to
Edwards Brothers Realty, of Bessemer, who operated the mine as Edwards
Ore Mine until 1962.