The Pyne Mine site was located
east of Red Mountain in the Shades Valley. Slope mines on the
northwest face of Red Mountain sloped steeply, about 30 degrees,
downward to the southeast. There were very few deep shaft mines
for iron ore in the District.
In 1918 Woodward began
construction of the vertical shaft Pyne Mine, which reached iron ore
about 1200 feet below ground. This mine was operated for a period
of years, closed, and reopened for demand in WW II. It closed
This picture shows the headframe
structure that supported the hoisting cable, which passed over the large
pulley at the top to a hoist house to the right.